New Zealand refuses to use Huawei 5G on a national security basis
The New Zealand intelligence agency rejected the first application by the telecommunications industry in the country to use 5G technology equipment provided by the Chinese company Huawei Technologies Co.
, purporting national security reasons.
The telecommunications service provider, Spark New Zealand Ltd, who made the bid on Wednesday, said he would review the state agency's argument before considering other actions.
The decision comes in a context of increasing suspect among Western countries, in his opinion, taking a possible part of the Chinese government in mobile communications networks and the fifth generation. Huawei has repeatedly insisted that Beijing has no influence over these systems.
Earlier this year, neighboring Huawei prohibited the supply of 5G equipment, also identifying security risks. Last week, the Wall Street Journal said the US government was trying to convince companies from related countries to avoid Huawei.
"I report to Spark that there has been a significant risk to the security of the network," said Andrew Hampton, general director of the Office of Government Security Communications on Wednesday.
Information Services minister Andrew Little told Reuters that Spark, whose application is part of the country's 5G technology application, can work with the agency to mitigate the risk. Hampton refused to identify the concerns, stating that it was a distribution information.
Huawei stated in a statement that "he will address any concerns and work together to find the way forward," adding that he has signed more than 205G contracts with operators worldwide.