Thursday , May 26 2022

The NHS called our daughter; Mam's brain tumor Doctor's Doctors have said that nerves have caught


The deceased parents of a disabled woman who died from a brain dumor after getting all clear by doctors accused NHS managers of "killing" their daughter.

Amanda Robertson was buried with symptoms, including extreme headache, breeding and vomiting.

The 40-year-old would have had a 90 per cent chance of survival if the dynamic tumor was seen.

But after four hospital admissions in nine months, a CT scan was performed and Amanda, who was receiving full-time care at home due to her autism, was sent away with plastic.

Amanda would have had a 90 per cent chance of survival if the tumor had been seen

He was diagnosed as being nerve caused by a chemist examined and missed opportunities to see the tumor on the CT scan.

His parents urged Caroline and Monty Robertson, staff to perform a MRI scan.

But just a few weeks later it was agreed when the condition of Amanda was getting worse.

Amanda died at home less than a week before the scheduled appointment, on September 2, 2014 – just six days before his scan at Ysbyty Raigmore, Inverness.

Their grief was complicated when it was later established that the tumor could have been detected at the time of the first CT scan – and Amanda would have had a 90 per cent chance of survival.

And this month, four years after Amanda's death, her parents have taken legal action against NHS Highland and spoke in public for the first time.

Amanda Robertson was buried with an extreme headache

71-year-old Caroline said: "Hard enough deals with your child's death, but when the right professionals are there to be caused, it makes it worse.

"Amanda would still be alive if staff in Raigmore simply did their job.

"As long as it is anxious, NHS Highland killed our daughter and loses our world apart.

"I was very scared about what was happening to her.

"She was in a lot of pain and could not get out of bed – my husband and I were basically taking her into hospital.

"She saw her suffering bored and left us all in constant condition of fear.

"Your mind starts to go around and you do not know what to think or do.

"We were also in custody 22 because the hospital kept us leaving, but we had no other place to go."

Read more

The best news stories today

In December 2013, Amanda told her GP that she was suffering from headaches, noses, balance issues and a suspected lump at the back.

It was referred to an ENT consultant who sanctioned nausea ulcer in February 2014 and it was suggested that headaches were sinus issues.

But on July 1, he returned his headache so the same expert ordered a CT scan.

Two weeks later, on July 14, she was all clear.

But the vomiting and headache continued and after turning Amanda's lips white on July 30, he was read to hospital.

On August 15, a neurologist from NHS Highland examined and diagnosed occipital nervegia neuralgia (headache).

He was scheduled to be released three days later, but on August 18 she was ill-suffering, and a doctor who saw her distress pushed for a MRI scan to run.

When the 8th of September was planned, Caroline, who was seriously concerned, complained that she was too long to wait and encouraged her to order an earlier appointment.

Amanda died six days before scanning, and the cause of death was confirmed as a tumor on the central nervous system in the brain.

The family, from Alness, Ross and Cromarty, complained to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman who "found if the tumor had to find out in July or early August, it would have been practical."

He reported that there would be 90 per cent chance of recovery of the unfair tumor.

NHS Highland's 11 recommendations were given to improve patient care and it was criticized for its "lack of focus on the failures and ways to improve their services".

The General Medical Council also researched the GP that had failed to see the early warning signs and the advice given down.

Amanda dad, Monty, 71, of the retired oil rig maker added: "We asked the neurologist for MRI and said it was not necessary – then he left.

"The hospital had many opportunities and time to take action but nothing did.

"We can not allow this type of flippant approach to healthcare to be evicted.

"Anyone who played a part in Amanda's death needs to be taken to account, at least so that standards improve and that other families do not go through what we have.

"NHS Highland is no longer an excuse to take care of people – not when they refuse to help drag people innocent through legal processes."

Sue Grant, a partner in Solby Brown Solicitor and head of clinical negligence, helped to secure an unexplained settlement for the Robertson family.

He said: "This was a very traumatic and traumatic experience for the Robertson family.

"It would be inappropriate to comment on their case but I can confirm that their civil operation has now come to the conclusion and I hope that they can now be able to rebuild their future."

NHS Highland was contacted for comments.

Source link