Prosecutors have dropped all charges against US actor Jussie Smollett for claiming to stage a racist and homophobic attack.
The Empire actor attended a court hearing in Chicago on Tuesday, where a judge sealed the case.
Mr Smollett, 36, pleaded not guilty this month to 16 counts of unruly behavior for claiming to lie to the police.
The gay black and open actor thanked his supporters outside the court after the hearing.
He said: "I have been honest and consistent at all levels since the first day.
"I wouldn't be my mother's mother if I could one drop of what I had to accuse him of."
- Jussie Smollett: Complete timeline
- 'Pain and anger'; over Jussie Smollett
He added: "This has been a very difficult time, honestly one of the worst of my whole life."
Mr Smollett promised that he would continue to "fight to improve the lives of people on the edge of the country".
Attorney General's office State State said in a statement: "After reviewing all the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr Smollett's community volunteering service and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe the outcome t This is just a disposal and an appropriate solution to this case. "
But according to the Chicago Sun-Times, police, Superintendent Eddie Johnson, were not briefed on the decision to drop the charges.
He learned about the unexpected move when he attended a police academy graduation ceremony, according to the city newspaper.
A police department told the Sun-Times that Superintendent Johnson was "furious" and that the case against Mr Smollett was a "solid rock."
Mr Smollett agreed voluntarily to give the best of his $ 10,000 bail money (£ 7,500), his lawyer said, emphasizing that there had been no dealings with state prosecutors to reject the payments.
Smollett Tina Glandian attorneys and Patricia Brown Holmes said in a statement that their client's record "has been wiped clean."
"He was a victim who was billed and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to an adjudication," the solicitors said.
"Jussie and many others were injured by these unfair and unfounded acts. The whole situation reminds us that there should never be a trial in court of public opinion."
Mr Smollett said he had been assaulted in the early hours of 29 January in downtown Chicago outside a sandwich shop by two hidden men who saw a racist and homophobic slug, pouring bleach on him and putting a rope around his neck.
He claimed they were shouting: "This is the country of Maga", a reference to President Donald Trump's "Make America Great Again" campaign slogan, and that at least one of the attackers was white.
But Chicago police said Mr Smollett had paid two brothers, both of whom were black, $ 3,500 to stage the attack because he was "dissatisfied with his salary" on the TV show.
His solicitor held outside the court on Tuesday that the check was for nutrition and physical training.
Ms Holmes also claimed that the two Osundairo brothers, who apologized for their "part in this situation" earlier this month, were Mr Smollett's attackers.
"We already know who attacked him," Ms Holmes told reporters. "The two brothers have said they have attacked him."
He could not offer a reason why the cause "seemed to go out of control", but surrendered Chicago police for not allowing the state to look properly at the event.
"You should allow an investigation, and allow the state to investigate a charge before you go to the press," said Ms Holmes.
Authorities had also accused Mr Smollett of sending a racist and homophobic letter to himself in Fox's studio beforehand.
The US president presided last month in the actor on Twitter, saying, "what about MAGA and the tens of millions of people you insulted with your racist and dangerous remarks!" #MAGA. "
Mr Smollett's family said in a statement to the US media on Tuesday that the actor was justified.
"Jussie is a son, brother, partner, champion of human rights, and a legitimate soul who would never be able to accuse him wrongly," said their statement.
"He was a victim of an attack and then wrongly blamed for his own attack. This morning truth has been obvious and has been justified.
"All the accusations have been dismissed and his record has been removed (clearance). The painful events that we have been experiencing have suffered over the past 7 weeks have been heartbreaking and have been very difficult." is unjust to say the least.
"Although many were quick to rush to a ruling before hearing the true truth, we are grateful that the truth about Jussie has come to the obvious.
"We look forward to bringing the true offenders to justice. We thank God and his village for standing with us during this time."
Mr Smollett is a gay musician on Fox's drama series Empire, which follows the hip-hop label of his family.
The Twitter account had to be checked out from the author's team on the Empire posting a tweet celebrating after Mr Smollett's appearance in court.