Malacañang on Thursday rejected Canada's proposal to go back “by the end of June” the tonne of rubbish illegally carried to the country years ago and said the Philippines could not wait so long.
Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said he did not expect President Duterte to agree to Canada's gesture.
“They said [the removal of the trash] it will take until the end of June. The Presiding Officer will not agree with that. I understand it [Finance] Secretary [Carlos] Dominguez will be sent back [to Canada] soon, ”said Panels in a press briefing.
“I don't know how [soon]. It could be this week or [the] a week later. Definitely, not [by] end of June. We don't want that, that's too long, ”he added.
The Palace responded to Canadian Environment Minister Catherine McKenna's statement that Ottawa would take the garbage back “by the end of June.”
McKenna said that the Canadian government had awarded a contract to Bollore Logistics, a French ship beer, for returning 69 containers filled with electronic waste and household waste, including plastic bottles and bags, newspapers and diapers.
Two containers were accumulated in the Manila International Container Criterion while the rest were moved to a remote yard at Subic Bay International Corporation, according to the Customs Office.
McKenna said the company would start preparing for the ships in the coming days as the waste must be handled safely to meet Canada's safety and health requirements.
Delay unexpected delay '
On Wednesday, Panel said that Duterte had ordered officers to transport the rubbish back to Canada immediately even if the Philippines were to shoulder the cost.
He said the President was “excited” about Ottawa's “unusual delay” going back with the rubbish and ordered the hire of a private shipping company to return the rubbish to Canada's territory.
“If Canada doesn't accept [its] rubbish, we leave the same in its territorial waters or 12 nautical miles (22.2 kilometers) out to the sea from anyone's baseline [its] the coast, ”said Panels.
Last week, Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. remembered for a Philippines and Consulate ambassador in Canada over Ottawa's failure to comply with Duterte's deadline on May 15 to take the garbage back.
The President also warned that Manila could break diplomatic relations with Canada.
The proposal is assumed to be too late
Aileen Lucero, the national co-ordinator of EcoWaste Coalition, said Canada's latest offer “too late for the unnecessary garbage to leave our land.” T
The environmental group has been at the forefront of protests insisting that Canada takes back the rubbish.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Wednesday that Ottawa was working with Philippine officials to solve the problem and was hoping to get a solution quickly, although he did not give a time frame.
“This is an unacceptable situation and has gone too long,” said Trudeau.
McKenna said that the Canadian government would hold the responsible parties to account, including the company that was exporting rubbish to the Philippines. He noted the exporter as Chronic Inc., a company located in Whitby, Ontario.
‘As soon as we can '
Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Crisis Freeland said on Wednesday that she had spoken to Locsin last week to repeat “Canada's firm commitment” to return the waste promptly.
“I think we've taken a big step with today's announcement and we're moving as fast as we can, remembering the need to take proper care to solve this once and for all,” says Freeland.
A total of 103 Canadian waste containers arrived in the batches in 2013 and 2014. The contents of 34 containers were later emptied at a landfill site in Capas, Tarlac.
Also on Thursday, Panel said that the Palace had been "offended" after boarding the customs at Tagoloan, Oriental Misamis interfered with seven containers of municipal waste to tear it out of Australia.
“That's true. I would not allow it. We will return them back, ”said Panels.
According to Mindanao Container Terminal, Holcim Philippines customs officers. the consignment was consigned. – REPORTS FROM JEROME ANING, TONETTE OREJAS, JOANNA ROSE AGLIBOT, TINA G. SANTOS AND AP
Subscribe to PLUS INVESTIGATION to access the Philippine Daily Enquirer and 70 other titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.