In Latvia, this year, treatment options for men diagnosed with prostate cancer or prostate have improved significantly. As a result, it is possible to extend the life expectancy of those who have already spread the tumor unfortunately. "Young and healthy people can not imagine how important it is for men who find themselves in such a situation," said Peter Vaganov, urologist at Clinical University Hospital Clinical University Hospital, P. Stradins Clinical University Hospital .
Not all men are able to get rid of prostate cancer, but in many cases they can live with it for a long time, since today's cancer is a chronic disease. In addition, since the beginning of this year, state-funded treatment is available at all stages of prostate cancer. There are also treatments that allow you to stay longer during and after treatment and to provide a better quality of life than was previously possible. The Center for Disease and Prevention Control (SPCC) data indicates that there were out of 8665 prostate cancer patients registered at the end of 2017, 4,133 records were reported for more than 5 years. If prostate cancer is detected, urine should be in touch with all life. It is important to continue the regular sequence of PSA (prostate-specific antigen) and keep up symptoms of progression that may be associated with urinary problems, erectile problems, urine blood or sperm, regular back pain or upper hips , according to your doctor's instructions.
"This year, a lot of work has been done on human health in Latvia: the availability of urologs has improved, new opportunities for diagnosis, treatment and observation are offered to men affected by prostate cancer, increasing expectations for the result favorable, "said P. Vaganov.
According to the doctor, men suspected of having prostate cancer using the Green Corridor, with a referral from a GP, are available within 10 days. "For those we see malignum tumors, the latest non-medical treatment methods are available, which enable them to return fully to their daily lives in a few weeks and, after a long time , to restore their ability. However, in order for it to happen, it is important that the tumor is detected early, which can only be done if the person performs a PSA test regularly and I'm going to the doctor Thanks to the government for approving a number of projects on the latest hardware acquisition of this year's urology, as well as a national drug repayment medicine that included medication New for treating prostate cancer during the last stages of metastatic cancer. This extends the life expectancy of patients, "said P. Vaganov.
What should be known for Latvian men
• For almost 20 years, prostate cancer worldwide is the most common malignant tumor in men.
• In Latvia, this is the second major type of cancer. (National Health Service Data (NSA)
• In 2016, 1286 new cases of prostate cancer were diagnosed. (SPCC Data)
• The number of unique and first prostate malignant tumors during the first eight months of 2018 was 4059 (814 of which were first time). (Data NVD)
• In Europe, prostate cancer is about 3 million men, and half of them have lived for five years or more since diagnosis. If a tumor is detected at an early stage, it can be eliminated and failure is possible without recovering illness for 20 to 30 years or more.
• Even if there are no complaints (prostate cancer may have no symptoms in the early stages), normal prostate tests of about 50 years of age should be carried out. From the age of 50, with a GP distributor every two years, the PSA test is paid by the state.
• Prostate cancer affects young men. If someone in the family has got this, tests should be done and at the beginning of urine you should go from 40-45 years.
• Prostate cancer can be treated at all stages of the disease. Not only does the support and encouragement of doctors, but also the adjoining ones, are very important.