It might be tempting not to take your contacts off before bed, however graphic images of an eye ulcer that formed when someone was sleeping with their soft lenses could make you think twice about it.
Patrick Vollmer, an eye doctor who worked at the Vita Eye Clinic in Shelby, North Carolina, posted a stomach breeding picture of a patient he had recently treated, which had a cultured pseudomonas ulcer from wearing their ties when they were sleeping New York reported. Vollmer shared the graphic images on Facebook and encouraged people to think about the harmful consequences of sleeping with contacts.
“The pictures below show a case of referral from the local emergency care, a cultured pseudomonas ulcer afterwards, and they are a direct result of sleeping in contact lenses. Pseudomonas (bacteria) is an important cause of ocular morbidity and its opportunistic characteristics quickly lead to permanent blindness, ”Vollmer wrote on Facebook. “This will be the fourth case of cultured pseudomonas that I have treated in my clinic.”
According to Vollmer, these bacteria are “explosive” eating away on the patient's cornea in days and leaving dead tissue, soup once the dirty act is done. Fortunately, Vollmer administered the patient's “closed clock” antibiotic drops and steroids to reduce the risk of permanent scarring. Although the patient's eye improves, there may well be some sight loss after treatment.
While people say they are “right” when they sleep with their contacts, Vollmer is against this practice, as it could lead to infections and permanent sight loss.
“To be very clear, I never recommend sleeping in any brand of SOFT contact lenses. The risks outweigh the benefits each time. It takes seconds to get rid of your contacts but a possible lifetime of damage can not be undone if you choose to leave them in, ”added Vollmer. “People need to see these images and also remind themselves / family / friends of being aware of the misuse of contact lenses.”
More about Geek.com: