Sunday , August 7 2022

Liverpool keeps title hopes alive in Newcastle


Mohamed Salah was carried from the field by a striker as Divock Origi substitute kept the title of the Liverpool Premier League alive with the final winner of a gasp in Newcastle.

International Egypt was injured in a crash with Magpies keeper Martin Dubravka 68 minutes into an exciting meeting at St James Park to leave a doubt about his participation in the Champions League second-round competition on Tuesday night with Barcelona.

His misfortune came during a desperate 3-2 win at St James Park which left the Reds two points clear of Manchester City, playing Leicester on Monday night, and ensuring the race for the title goes to last day of term.

The Magpies leveled twice as Christian Atsu and Salomon Rondon canceled goals from Virgil Van Dijk and Salah, but Origi, whose late intervention has scooped the victory over Everton earlier this season, which came to # 39 the gate with just four minutes left.

Dubravka's goal did not come under threat until the 11th minute when Salah climbed top to meet Andy Robertson's cross and after seeing his head blocked, he took the ball in and sent the ball into the side nets.

However, the keeper was beaten in a comprehensive style two minutes later when Jamaal Lascelles slipped to leave Van Dijk unmarked, and Trent Alexander-Arnold's support led him firmly at home.

The Magpies arrived back within seven minutes after a former Liverpool back Javier Manquillo crossed from the right and Matt Ritchie saw his initial shot.

Rondon smashed the free ball towards the goal, where Alexander-Arnold seemed to stop him with his hand, but he was guarded when Atsu followed up to level.

He needed the help of his crossman on the keeper Alisson to keep out volleying di Ayoze Perez as Newcastle had a chance, but they were made to pay for the second time in the back in the opening 28 minutes when Salah himself was in place place to navigate Alexander-Arnold's speculative crossing past the helpless Dubravka.

Slovakia stopped Sadio Mane from increasing the advantage of his side after he played neatly one-to-one with Salah as the frenzy speed was maintained throughout the first half of beating.

Rondon ordered Alisson to enter a regulation other than a distance as the half-time whistle approached, but the visitors led the teams into the dressing rooms.

Salah sketched a wide snapshot and Daniel Sturridge fired wastefully over either side of the Alisson stop from Rondon inside the opening five minutes of the second half, but Venezuela International was not to be rejected.

The former Bpie cleared Georgina Wijnaldum's corner of Ki Sung-yueng to the edge of the box, but when the ball was fed back, Rondon pleaded to cut his 11th goal in the season.

Jurgen Klopp's men set about restoring their leadership in a determined way, but with Newcastle flourishing at the break, the game was in the melting pot.

Salah left prematurely after a collision with Dubravka as the pair met Dejan Lovren's long ball, but the fortunes of his side improved with four minutes left as Origi replaced his replacement Xherdan Shaqiri past Dubravka to win.

Source link