Friday , August 19 2022

The pedophilia scandal that affects YouTube after Matt Watson's complaint and for what big brands they are pulling down their platforms advertisements



[ad_1]

"YouTube facilitates children's sexual exploitation and monitors." That is the phrase named the video of youtuber Matt Watson (also known as MattsWhatItIs), which shows his distress after finding "a pedophilia network on YouTube."

"The YouTube algorithm's recommendations make it easier for pedophiles to connect with each other, exchange information and give comments in the comments," said Watson in a 20-minute video published last Sunday that accumulates almost two million and methods of visits.

Watson explains that there were only two clicks to access content published by pedophiles and that the platform automatically recommends similar videos, so that there are only few clicks with the recommendations column (on the right ) is full of videos with minors.

In addition, according to the youtuber, pedophiles use the platform to exchange the content and contacts of small people.

It also explains that although some Internet users have already warned about this problem. And he said he had proven that those videos were monetized. "This is wrong, you have to do something, they know it, and I'm stunned that no-one is doing anything," says the content creator in California.

He then revealed how easy it was to find videos of sexual content with children who are still posted on YouTube.

They are apparent videos of men who are seeking bikinis, playing or extending, but in the comments you can read the pedophile reactions that look for interaction with the under-age or identify parts of the video that they have a sexually suggestive, as well as links that lead to pornographic content.

Some of those videos have millions of opinions, so Watson asked viewers to contact the brands that appear in the advertisements of those videos to warn them that they support & # 39; indirectly a pedophilia network.

The reactions were straight away

Some companies like Disney, Nestle, Purina, McDonalds, Canada Goose, Epic Games and Fortnadi said on Wednesday that they were withdrawing their advertising from the Google video platform as a result of the scandal.

Other companies, such as Grammar, said they were in discussions with the platform to try and solve the problem before canceling their advertising investments altogether.

"When we learned about this, we were – and still – were totally awful, and we contacted YouTube immediately," said Senka Hadzimuratovic, spokesman for Grammar, a grammar on- line.

What does YouTube say?

"Any content, including comments, which are at risk of minors is uncommon and we have clear policies on YouTube that's banned," said a YouTube spokesman at BBC Mundo.

"We have taken immediate action by eliminating accounts and channels, identifying the illegal activity to the authorities and disabling comments on tens of millions of videos that contain images of minors."

"There is more to do, and we continue to work to improve and detect this type of abuse faster."

The spokesman also told BBC Mundo that the company took more serious and "aggressive" action than it has acted so far to get better control of inappropriate content and has eliminated More than 400 channels, something that has also been expressed in public. .

Other measures include the deletion of published videos without bad intentions, but underage children have been put into danger and increase the ability to find this type of content.

The company also said that he always took part in the fight against that "horrendous" material using innovative technology, where he will continue to invest.

According to YouTube data, last year came to 46,000 cyber-starter accounts and reported to the National Center for Loss and Exempt Children, a not-for-profit organization established by Congress of the United States.

And it does not stop giving that product up, but it will increase its efforts to ensure the safety of young people.

Background

This problem adds to the explosion of advertisers that were exploded in 2017, when hundreds of companies, such as A & T and Verizon or the pharmacist GSK, withdrew their advertisements after an investigation by the British newspaperThe Times which came to the conclusion that the site poses advertisements alongside extreme videos of political and religious content.

At the end of 2017, YouTube responded by introducing some changes to combating abuse. At the time, some journalists, such as BBC technology correspondent, Rory Cellan-Jones, thought if Google, who owns YouTube since 2006, is facing a crisis of confidence.

"The media faces strict regulations and the next could be raised from Google itself if the current problems are not resolved in another way," he said.

Many advertisers returned to the platform one year later after you made sure they made progress in finding and managing inappropriate content faster.

[ad_2]
Source link