Wednesday , January 20 2021

Galaxy was confirmed without any dark matter



Keck Observatory

A dark matter is a mystery that astronomers and physicists can't find or understand at all. However, despite this, research was published in Letter of the Astrophysical Journalhas revealed new evidence from a second galaxy that does not contain the shy substance.

Currently one thinks that the dark issue forms the majority of the universe, next to the dark energy. As such, the discovery of galaxies with little dark matter is surprising, even to the scientists themselves.

If you have an object, you always have a small voice at the back of your mind that says, but, if you're wrong ?, in a statement, astronomer Yale University Pieter van Dokkum "Although we did all the controls we could think of, we were worried that nature would have ruined us and that we had plotted to make something look very special, but in fact it was less common," he said. "he added.


Elliptical galaxy NGC 1052 (center). These objects include DF2 (lower left) and DF4 (right hand); both are galaxies with a lack of dark matter similar in size, luminosity, morphology, globular cluster population and speed dispersion.
P. van Dokkum (Yale University) / STScI / ACS

The second galaxy with this mystery feature

In fact, this is not the first galaxy to have this curious feature. Two years ago, the astronomer Shany Danieli discovered a galaxy of NGC 1052-DF2 that it did not appear to have a dark issue. "Nobody knew that such galaxies exist, and the best thing for an astronomy student in the world is to find an object, be it a planet, a star or our galaxy, no one Danieili said about the second discovery

"We hope to discover next how common these galaxies are and if they exist in other parts of the universe," Danieli said. "We want to find more evidence to help us understand how the properties of these galaxies work with our current theories," he said.

Astronomers hope that finding this kind of galaxy will help to better understand the mysterious nature of dark matter, which occupies 27% of the universe. The remaining 73% is divided between dark energy (using 68%) and baryoneic matter, which we have composed (which is only 5%).

Regarding why these galaxies do not have a dark issue, it has not been resolved. Did they get them and they lost somehow? Were they formed without the gas expelled by NGC 1052? It's hard to say, but perhaps if we find even more galaxies like this one, we could start to unite them, to close Danieli.

Victor Román
This news was originally published N + 1, science is added.

About N + 1: This is the first online magazine of scientific and technological dissemination that allows full or partial reproduction of its content through communication, bloggers and influencers, mentioning the text & & # The link to the web: "This news has originally been published in the magazine t N + 1, science is added: www.nmas1.org"


Source link