Wednesday , September 28 2022

The return of Dennis Oland's murder focuses on forensic evidence


Forensic evidence was the focus of Dennis Oland's second-class re-murder on Wednesday, with the head of the John Saint Police specialist unit back on the witness stand.

Sgt. Mark Smith spent a lot of the morning detailing the hard process of gathering evidence from the Richard Oland, the father of the accused, during the autopsy.

Ef a Const. Forensic. Dave MacDonald was the morgue of Saint John's Regional Hospital for almost 12 hours on July 8, 2011, hearing the courtroom.

They use a special light that makes a variety of composite fluorescence to look for the victim's body for any tracking of evidence, such as hair and fibers, and a packing tape to collect 31 items.

They seized hair found between Oral hand fingers, swabbed his palaces and taking finger cuts to test any DNA that the killer could leave behind.

They also collect hair and blood samples, recording carefully each step with photos and notes, labeling & signaling bags and signing, says Smith.

An organized "very slow" process, which left no time for breaks, says.

Then the officers pulled Oland's clothes, seized his jumper, shirt, pants, belt, socks, shoes, underwear and watch Rolex, and explored his naked body using CrimeScope light again before the pathologist started; r awops.

Richard Oland, 69, was found dead at his Saint John's office on July 7, 2011. (Canadian Sailing Association)

Richard Oland, 69, 45 injured, forceful and powerful injuries, his throat and his hands, and Dr Ather Naseemuddin said on Tuesday.

The multimillionaire, who was discovered facing a pile of blood in his office on the morning of July 7, 2011, would survive only "minutes" after being attacked, he said.

No tool has ever been found.

The jury Dennis Oland found guilty of a re-murder in December 2015, but the New Brunswick Appeal Court rejected the conviction and a new trial order, stating a mistake in the trial judge's instructions to the jury.

Oland, 50, is taken by a judge himself, without a jury.

Dennis Oland, 50, has been bail-free, living in the community under conditions since October 2016 when the Court of Appeal refused his conviction and a new trial order. (CBC)

Smith, who was witnessing last Thursday and Friday about the processing of the blood crime scene, was originally remembered after Tuesday afternoon, but the Crown leader, P.J. Veniot, told the court that he was "seriously under the weather".

His evidence had arranged to continue on Wednesday afternoon, but had a few mockings in the morning and Veniot said that worries would keep him on the stand only worsening his condition.

Smith and the defense and defense agreed by Smith should be excused and remembered in the new year, once it has improved.

No other witnesses were filled for the afternoons, so the court was deferred early and was scheduled to resume Thursday at 9:30 a.m. with evidence of forensic poisoner.

When Smith is reminded, he is expected to give details of his investigation of the accused car and other property for any blood evidence that is linked to his father's slaughter.

Oland drove his Volkswagen Golf City to and from his father's office at 52 Canterbury St., on the evening of July 6, 2011, when he became a last-known person to see live.

The Crown has said that the Dennis Oland's brown sports jacket was wearing when he visited his father that the night had four blood strands and DNA matches his father's profile.

On Tuesday, the defense developed its theory that "slaughter or killer" would be covered in blood.

"This was a very bloody situation in how the deceased met his death?" The lawyer asked Michael Lacy to protect the pathologist.

"I will agree," replied Naseemuddin.

Lacy suggested that whoever achieved the beat would be likely to have a "substantial" amount of blood on the "weapon, weapons, on them and on their clothes."

But before Naseemuddin could answer, Crown Prosecutor Jill Knee refused, arguing that outside the area of ​​the pathologist's specialty, the cause, method and mechanism of death – not an attacker's blood separator.

Lacy took another grip. He asked if Naseemuddin would have expected significant blood from the wound. "I would think, yes," answered the pathologist.

Lacy also asked Naseemuddin whether the pictures of crime locations showed significant blood around the body and space. "Yes, I did see that."

It is expected that the recovery, which began on November 21, will continue for four months.

Source link