Thursday , September 29 2022

Tax breaks in the middle of a long-term climate plan B.C.



[ad_1]

B.C. has revealed its expected clean climate plan, which outlines the state's strategy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions across the province by offering tax breaks for the re-letting of homes and zero emissions vehicles.

The scheme, Clean B.C., also redirects revenue from carbon tax to incentives for the province's largest industries to move to cleaner operations.

"We want to make shifts: shifts in our home, shifts in our vehicles and shifts in our industry away from fossil fuels and to green energy," said Prime Minister John Horgan to reporters.

Leader of Green Party and Horgan, Andrew Weaver, revealed the Vancouver framework on Wednesday, along with Minister for Environment George Heyman and Minister of Energy Michelle Mungall.

The climate plan is part of the state's aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40 per cent by 2030, 60 per cent by 2040 and 80 per cent by 2050.

Premier John Horgan, on the right, announced the new state targets for zero emission vehicles with the Green Party Leader, Andrew Weaver, on his side. (Mike McArthur / CBC)

However, the discounts outlined in the Wednesday plan, but achieve 75 per cent of that 2030 target. The province said that the remaining 25 per cent will be calculated over the next 18 to 24 months.

Large targets: cleaner buildings, cars

Cleaner cars and cleaner buildings – as well as incentives for people to afford shift – are highlights of the plan.

All buildings built in B.C. it will have to be "net-zero energy ready" by 2032, making them sufficiently efficient so that all of the energy needs with renewable energy sources could be met like solar panels.

B.C. also allocates $ 400 million to support back-ups and upgrades to existing office buildings and buildings, as previously announced, including incentives for homeowners to pay for renovation to things like windows and heat pumps.

The Clean Communities fund will also be available to remote communities, so residents can apply for grants to upgrade existing housing in their neighborhoods.

Johanna Wagstaffe CBC explains how climate change will transform the province by 2050. 3:28

The province has a target to improve 1.5 per cent of all buildings in B.C. by 2030 – or 16,000 households per annum.

As for transport, the plan says that all cars are sold at B.C. it will need to be emitted by 2040 – as announced by Horgan last month. The scheme, once again, offered incentives for people to afford the change.

Motivation of the industry

A proportion of carbon dioxide B.C., which is paid by an industry, will be saved and redirected to incentives for cleaner operations for operations such as aluminum mining and oil and gas.

Clean electricity will also be provided to "the production of proposed natural gas in the Peace region."

In October, LNG Canada announced its Kitimat $ 40 billion LNG project was underway.

To help make the project move on, Horgan government also offered an exemption on a provincial sales tax associated with construction costs.

According to the information provided by the province, Canada's LNG plant would be the world's largest intense greenhouse LNG facility.

Weaver broke the project after its approval, saying that it would conflict with the state's climate goals.

Welcome to clean businesses

The Green leader, who worked as a climate scientist before transferring to politics, hit different on Wednesday.

"This is not a plan to make people spend a lot of taxes and harm people's home pay," he said. "It's about sending a message to the broad market in BC and internationally that BC will go to the challenge: We welcome business in BC, but that business will clean business. & # 39; "

Weaver was also going to address the 25 per cent gap in the plan.

"The answer is, if we, only 75 per cent of us are there, but look at what we have done in doing so," he said.

The Horgan minority NDP government is supported in the legislature by B.C. Green Party.

Spokesman of the Pembina Foundation, Karen Tam Wu, B.C. currently emitting approximately 63 megatonnes of greenhouse gas emissions annually and aims to get that number down to about 13 megatonnes by 2050.

[ad_2]
Source link