It was brain surgery as nothing else for Dr. Charles Cobbs.
"There's something I've ever seen … pathologists could not really decide what the tissue had had to be destroyed," said Cobbs, a neurosurgeon at the Medical Center in Seattle.
Cobbs was acting on the patient last January about what he thought he was a brain tumor. When she opened, the damage was so severe, he sent part of it to prove it.
It turns out that a rare amoeba has been eating it live.
Cobbs is of the opinion that net use was a net use of a biblical shape, which was used to relieve sinuses by shooting up the nasal cavity, which gave the amoeba to its brains. She says she uses tap water, rather than water after boiling or salt to suggest.
The patient had a rare infection to the brain of the name Balamuthia mandrillaris. There is a free amoeba that is found in soil and fresh water and generally does not cause people harm.
Dr. wrote Cobbs about the case for a recent edition of the International Infectious Disease Magazine.
The publication does not know the patient.
The report says that a rare amoeba was discovered in 1986 in an autopsy of mandrill monkey brain in San Diego Zoo and was declared a new species in 1993.
It also says that there are only about 200 human infections recorded worldwide, and at least 70 in the United States. The mortality rate for the Balamuthia infection is about 100 percent.
"If you have … injected (i) into the nose paths, if enough, you, you know, could establish an infection," Cobbs explained.
"I suspect she was in her nose trains and she had a skin in the nose, and after a while, there was plenty around him that she went into the bloodstream and probably going to the brain. "
According to the paper, the infection showed up as a stroke on the woman's skin. Doctors treated it for some year, as if it were a common skin condition, rosacea.
Cobbs says that the shortage of the amoeba has made her condition difficult to diagnose quickly. Ultimately, the patient had a stroke, then doctors made a CT scan. At that point, they were diagnosed with the brain tumor.
Not until she had an operation they found the infection. Despite the removal of the damaged pieces by the amoeba, the patient died within one month of diagnosis.
Warning nasal rinsing
Cobbs encourages those using nose rinsen to wash containers properly.
"I suspect it was a container that had been sitting around … it's possible that Amoeba could set up a shop there and then the tap water had been sitting around and perhaps he is growing in that regard, "he said.
It says that net pots are a good way for those with sinus or flu problems for relief, if they are really used.