Monday , July 4 2022

The pioneering surgery to implement pancreatic cancer, one of the most deadly



[ad_1]

María José del Valle with two doctors.Copyright of the image
Twitter Vall d 'Hebron

Caption image

María José del Valle, at the center, has been implemented for radio frequency pancreatic cancer in Barcelona.

Everyday, more than 1,200 people around the world are diagnosed with pancreas cancer, which has one of the lowest survival rates in this disease.

But now there is a development for patients.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the most aggressive. According to the American Cancer Society, at best the 5 year survival rate is 14%, while in the worst of the forecasts, it is only 1%.

The Hebron Vall Hospital in Barcelona (Spain) is now experiencing an innovative technique that could improve this situation. I'm called radiofrequency and with this procedure they have successfully implemented three people.

  • The reason why some cancerous tumors are more aggressive than others

These patients suffered from a very specific type of pancreas cancer, adenocarcinoma above the pancreas locally, unreliable with traditional techniques and treatment is only palliative chemotherapy.

Therefore, a radius can be effective as an alternative to palliative chemotherapy when treating pancreas cancer with a poorer diagnosis.

Innovative technique

This technique includes the introduction of a needle that allows a temperature of up to 80ºC directly in the nuclear zone. The high temperature burn cells.

Copyright of the image
Hebron's Vall Hospital

Caption image

The image shows a team of surgeons at the Hebron Vall Hospital (Barcelona) that operates pancreas cancer with radiofrequency.

The needle also has a cooling system. "In this type of intervention, a cooling system is used that allows cooling fluids to reach areas such as the duodenum to overlap," explained surgeon Elizabeth Pando, from Vall Hospital d & # 39; Hebron.

There is a procedure that has already been used in other cancers, such as liver tumors, kidneys and lungs, but have never been applied to the pancreas cancer.

  • How to recognize the symptoms of pancreatic cancer is considered the most abusive

"No-one has ever been aiming to do that, and the studio breaks that barrier," said Pando.

So far it was considered that radiofrequency in pancreas cancer could not be used because it meant too many risks due to the location of the tumor, surrounded by arteries and larger veins.

Copyright of the image
Christopher Furlong / Getty

Caption image

To date, it was considered that radiofrequency in pancreatic cancer could not be used because it meant too many risks due to the location of the tumor

If the results are confirmed, from 2020 or 2021 this procedure can be a "great option" for pancreatic cancer patients that can not be implemented.

Complex forecasts

The operations were conducted in a study framework led by the Dutch Academic Medical Center.

The study estimates that around 40% of patients have advanced pancreatic cancer locally at the time of diagnosis. The average survival of patients with this disease is approximately eight months.

  • Why is pancreatic cancer so abusive?

One of the causes of high pancreas cancer death is that the symptoms that cause them are so important that 80% of patients do not get diagnosed in advanced stages.

After diagnosis, only 20% of these types of tumors are active. For the remaining 80% the only option is, to date, chemotherapy.

"It gave me six months to live"

One of the patients operated with this method at the Vall's Hospital in Hebron is María José del Valle, who appeared last week with doctors at this center to present the results of radio- first frequency.

Copyright of the image
Getty Images

Caption image

Pancreatic cancer is one of the most aggressive.

María José, who had been a doctor throughout her life, was in a friend's house when she realized she had and yellow friction. After the relevant tests, he was diagnosed with pancreas cancer.

He was offered him to participate in the clinical study, and at the press conference he said he had signed it "unread". He went through two months of chemotherapy before he had the innovative surgical intervention. "I knew that survival was low, I have given me six months." Now it's "scary".

  • "I never think that men could suffer from breast cancer"

At present, this technique was used only in patients who were stable after chemotherapy months.

Although doctors ask for a warning, they are optimistic. "If this therapy is confirmed to be effective for adenocarcinoma above the pancreas locally, we will eventually have a technique that allows us to improve the prognosis of this malignant tumor," said Dr. Ramón Charco.

  • Do you already know our YouTube channel? Subscribe!
[ad_2]
Source link