Friday , January 22 2021

England’s first ODI left South Africa after Covid outbreaks among hotel staff | Cricket News



England is returning two ‘unconfirmed positive tests’ for coronavirus with the traveling party currently self-isolating in their hotel rooms; no news yet on the state of the rest of the series, with games planned for Cape Town on Monday and Wednesday

Last Updated: 06/12/20 9:47 am

South Africa's first ODI against England has been abandoned after two hotel staff tested positive for coronavirus

South Africa’s first ODI against England has been abandoned after two hotel staff tested positive for coronavirus

England’s first ODI against South Africa at Paarl has been abandoned after two staff at the team’s hotel tested positive for Covid-19, with two members of the English touring party since returning “unconfirmed positive results” ”.

A statement from the England and Wales Cricket Board read: “The decision was made after two hotel staff tested positive for COVID-19. As a precaution, English players and managers received an additional round of PCR tests on Saturday night.

“Following the test results, two members of the English touring party have returned unconfirmed positive tests for COVID-19. The players and managers are now self-isolating in their rooms pending further advice from the medical teams. “

The ECB also said a decision on the final two games of the series – set for Cape Town on Monday and Wednesday – will be made once the test results are independently confirmed by medical experts.

Ashley Giles, managing director of English men’s cricket, said: “Sorry we are not able to play in ODI today, but the welfare of the players and support staff is our main concern and while we await further test results, medical advice from both teams was that this game should not happen.

“We continue to have ongoing discussions with Cricket South Africa and will continue to work closely with them to determine the best way forward.”

The series was due to kick off at Boland Park in Paarl on Sunday

The series was due to kick off at Boland Park in Paarl on Sunday

South African cricket director Graeme Smith said: “CSA does everything we can to ensure that our top priority, the health, safety and welfare of players, support staff and everyone involved in this series is protected .

“With that in mind, we have made the collective decision to cancel the game today. We are deeply saddened by the situation we find ourselves in after the amount of time and energy that has gone into this. to put it into action to make a successful trip.

“We are in ongoing discussions with the ECB as we navigate the situation under the guidance of our combined medical teams.”

Sky Sports Cricket Michael Atherton said: “There is a doubt that the results could be false positives – whether the readings are unusual, who knows? They have sent those results for confirmation or otherwise and that will be ‘ key.

“It is very difficult to see these games and this journey going on if it is confirmed that two members of the touring party are positive. If they are false positive and the touring party is clear, then maybe that there will be a chance of finishing this trip.

“I believe [two games] is the absolute best we can hope for – there’s no way you’re going to get three games in now, I don’t think that’s practical.

“Players will want some breathing space if those results come back as false positives to be sure everything is fine, so pushing them back two days to Tuesday, Wednesday would allow that.

“But it all depends on these two tests. If they come back as confirmed positives, then I’m afraid the trip is made and then there are significant question marks as to whether ‘ those players stay. “

Roy Davies, general manager of the Vineyard Hotel, issued a statement revealing that staff members had tested positive on Friday and had been isolated ever since.

“The Vineyard Hotel can confirm that two staff members tested positive for Covid-19 on Friday, December 4 following a positive South African player test on Thursday, December 3,” he said.

“At the moment, it is unclear how the staff members were infected as neither have left the bio-safe area since Nov. 16 and are not working on the same team or the same area.Our Covid response team is trying to establish all the facts and contact tracking are in progress.

“Our top priority is the safety and welfare of our staff and guests and we have put all our resources and efforts into investigating and resolving the situation.

“Staff and player who tested positive on Friday are currently isolated in apartments on site some distance from the hotel that have been sterilized and available for this purpose.”




Source link